babies

Saturday, April 11, 2009

We have a baby:)


Malcolm Jeffery Robertson was born April 8, 2009 at 8:06pm.

I started my pregnancy with lots of morning sickness and very low blood pressure. At 37 weeks I developed high blood pressure, and became pre-eclamptic at 38 weeks, and had to be put on medication for it. So at 39 1/2 weeks, it was time for baby to come out.
We first went in on Tuesday the 7th, and waited for 7 hours before we were sent home. They were really busy that day, and they just didn't have a labour room available to start my induction.
We were back Wednesday morning, and hooked up to the monitor and IV by 9:30. Since everything was really good with baby, they let me off the monitor from time to time to walk the halls, take a bath etc. About 1pm I was really getting uncomfortable. I tried the jacuzzi tub, then the birthing ball. Then I decided it wasn't going to get better, so at about 4pm I got the epidural. By then the contractions were pretty strong, about 2 minutes apart and lasting 30-45 seconds. I had a small break after the epidural went in, and I got a little bit of rest. Then they broke my water and things went quickly from there. I was 5 cm when they ruptured my membranes, and about an hour later 8cm, then all of a sudden about 15 or 30 minutes later it was time to push.
An hour and a half of pushing later we finally had our little boy. His head was 35 cm. I think that's all that needs to be said about that.
He weighed in at 8.1lbs, was 21 inches long, and was very healthy right away.
I needed a bit of time to recover, had a few minor complications, and then everything was ok again.
The first night we spent in a semi-private room. Not very fun, Jeff was stuck sleeping on a mat on the floor. Those of you who have had babies in Saskatoon know we have these wonderful "Victorian" rooms at the hospital. There are only 3 and you have to request it, and of course they cost extra. They put you on a list once your baby is actually born. For our second night there I was hoping to at least be moved to a private room. I was so happy and excited when we were offered the Victorian. They had a late discharge and we were next on the list:) What a difference. A queen sized bed, a couch, a TV, lots of extra chairs and room for visitors. It was a much better night.
Things were still good with both of us the next morning, so we got to come home:)
Last night went pretty well. He likes to be awake from 4-7am, just like when I was pregnant. Nursing is going good. I think. As far as I can tell anyway:)
All in all we are a pretty happy and content family going into day 3:)

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh my, he is just beautiful! Congratulations, we can't wait to meet him!

Tim said...

Hey Karen, I was talking to Dad on the phone Wednesday night to find out if the baby had come yet. And then after I got off the phone there was a message from Gab telling me the good news. How pleasant.
I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to visit in May!

-Tim

Tim said...

Hey Karen, I was talking to Dad on the phone Wednesday night to find out if the baby had come yet. And then after I got off the phone there was a message from Gab telling me the good news. How pleasant.
I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to visit in May!

Kathleen said...

Congratulations! I'm a random follower of your blog. What a cute little man you have there! Does he have a little cousin yet? I loved the pictures of you and Jeff's cousin, Pella at that wedding.