babies

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saving $$ and the environment.

So I've been reading another blog called the Grocery Cart Challenge for a few months now. There is a link to it in the left of my blog page. (If you are reading this on facebook, go to original post, and it will direct you to my blog page. http://bluegrasscanucks.blogspot.com )
There are a lot of money saving ideas on there, and some good for the environment ideas too. We have been trying to be good to the environment through recycling and composting. Despite the eye rolls we get from our parents and friends. We have signed up for curbside recycling, as then we can recycle more things like plastics. We compost anything we can, so now we only have 1 bag of garbage a week. (Well more now that we have diapers.)
I have recently decided to use some of the ideas from the GCC. I have started to wash my ziploc bags. I have strung a line over the kitchen sink where I hang them to dry.
I made a home-made stain remover tonight, that seems to work well with the laundry. And I also made my own laundry detergent. It's phosphate free, and will cost about a penny a load. I do realize there is a lot of water in the recipe, but it should last me about 6 months. We will see. I am even going to hang a clothes line this summer.
I haven't had to do this yet, but there is also a recipe on the GCC site for homemade all purpose cleaner.
Tomorrow I think I am going to make my own garden pots and start some seeds.
I'll let you know how the laundry stuff works out.

No comments: