babies

Monday, July 02, 2007

Green Tomatoes

I love Fried Green Tomatoes. Not just the movie, but the food. Living down here, I have gotten pretty good at making them too. On Saturday morning I went to the farmers market and bought some good green tomatoes, and that night we went to a Canada Day / 4th of July party at my friends house. I made a nice little Canada day cake (I'll post the picture later). We had a little BBQ, and then later on came the tomatoes. You cut the tomatoes nice and thin, dip them in egg, then batter them in Jiffy corn muffin mix, you can add some sugar, and if you want salt and pepper. Then fry them in olive oil (as Dana says "ol"). I like to eat them with apple cider vinegar. Some people eat them with ketchup, although other people think that's blasphemous. Jeff and I had them again today too. When we get home we will have to plant some tomatoes in our yard. I don't think the stores in Saskatoon will have a whole display area of green tomatoes in the summers like the stores do here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen
You are welcome to raid my tomatoes when you get to Canada.
I just planted three more plants, because they were 25 cents at Walmart.
Brenda E.