babies

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Front of the Church

So Karen and I tried to attend church in Winchester Kentucky the other Sunday. We had decided to attend the Emmanuel Episcopal Church. Karen did the research via the yellow pages and found that they started at 11am. So come Sunday morning we headed out to the church. When we arrived the main sign said service started at 10:30am and it was 11:00, so we were a half hour late. So we headed to the United Methodist Church downtown which started at 11am. When we arrived at that church they were already playing music and singing. We approached the doors to the church cautiously trying to be as quiet as possible. I gestured for Karen to open the oversized door and to lead the way. She of coarse gestured for me to lead the way so I obliged. When I opened the door it shocked me to see a good part of a 200-member congregation and the piano lady staring back at me. It seemed like that door was open for a several seconds but I'm sure it was only a second at most. By the time I closed the door and looked back to Karen she was half way to the door. I quickly joined her outside where we had a good laugh at our misfortune. We walked back to the car and found a side door that would take us to the back of the church. We stood inside the door and discussed our plan of action. I suggested that we leave since everyone in the church would know it was us that opened the door, and they would be looking at us as we entered. Hard enough not standing out in a small town church being from Canada (Eh!), let alone being the couple that almost came in the wrong way. So we left the church and went shopping. We decided we would do a better job of researching the church before going on Sunday.

No comments: